Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Analytical/Reflection Post


At the beginning of this module, my goal is to improve greatly on my writing skills. I am blessed to have Effective Communication as my year 1 module. Not only it helps me to achieve my goal of improving my writing skills but also to prepare for my final year IWSP report. In addition, this module also trained me to be confident in terms of doing a formal presentation and to effectively “sell your solution” to your audience. I learnt of my weakness and strength from Mr Brad and my peers' feedback. The takeaway for this module would be the writing of the summary reader response. Based on that assignment and the comments by my peers and Mr. Brad, I learned from my mistakes and greatly improve on my writing skills for the next assignment which is the proposal report.

The main challenge that my team faced was about choosing the research topic. The first step was the hardest as it requires the team to be able to predict what kind of challenges that we might face and research multiple case studies to support the topic. Once the team had chosen the topic, the workload is divided evenly. Initially, the team thought it is a good idea of dividing the workload evenly, but due to our hectic schedule, the team decided to focus on a sub-topic and give their critics to further improve on the content. I believe this method is preferred so that everyone can contribute effectively and this method could be applied to other projects too. The mock presentation also allows other peers to give their honest opinions on how the presenting team could present better.

As an emcee for the presentation showcase, I would say that it was a rather challenging yet fun experience. It was my first time being an emcee and the challenging part was to write the script. This role taught me to understand the flow of the event and be more spontaneous when speaking. It also gives me an opportunity to watch my fellow coursemates pitching their ideas, allowing me to learn the strength and weaknesses of their presentation. The judges, Ms. Pavi and Dr. Ong also gave useful feedback and comments for the teams to improve on their presentation such as to present the content in a clear manner or focusing on some of the key areas of the idea so as to convince the audience better.

Commented on Nurul, Aufal, and Jordon's blog on 13/4/2019

7 comments:

  1. Hey Syah,

    good job on being the emcee for that evening. I do agree that agreeing on a topic as a team is really important but hard, as all of us have different level of knowledge. It is crucial that all teammates are agreeable on the theme so that we can efficiently spill the workload and work towards a common goal.

    All the best for exams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Syahiran,

    It was such a waste that your group were not chosen to pitch at the showcase, but it was good that you volunteered as the emcee. Looking forward to see more of you emceeing in the following years in SIT. Lastly all the best for your exams!

    Best,
    Xing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Syahiran for being a great emcee that day!

    I loved reading the first 2 parts of your reflection because I felt the same way too! Effective Communication has definitely provided me the importance of having this module.

    May the force be with you for the upcoming exams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Syah,

    I am glad to know that you have achieved your goals. Judging by your role as the emcee for the Presentation Showcase and your final presentation in class, I feel that you are a good presenter. Good job!

    Regards,
    Nurul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Syah,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and fairly detailed reflection and for the great effort you made at developing your skills throughout the term. I also applaud your courage in emceeing the showcase. It was a pleasure working with you.

    All the best as you continue your learning journey.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  7. After exploring a handful of the blog articles on your blog, I seriously appreciate your way of writing a blog. I book-marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future. Take a look at my website too and let me know your opinion.

    ReplyDelete